Feb 28, 2012

My MacBook Air Screen Replacement Experience


 Soez, I've gotten my hands on a MacBook Air that needs a new display. The client fell asleep on it and surprisingly did no damage to the lid or bezel, just the panel.

 I ordered a new one from Buy.com for about $100, shipped. When I opened it, it turned out to be the exact model number and was even manufactured around the same date as the MacBook Air itself!

 I got to prodding and prying, careful not to sneeze for fear that half of the components would dissolve into the air like dust.

 Look at the size of this thing! I can say with complete confidence: this is the smallest screw I've ever handled.

Also, I must say, Apple seems to have been a bit more considerate in the application of thermal paste during manufacturing [something that had caused thermal anomalies in their other Intel notebooks. It wasn't necessarily an issue, but it certainly did not reflect Apple's renowned attentiveness]


Perhaps they were just being that considerate about the weight of the MacBook Air 0.o


 At any rate, the notebook came apart like LEGO's™. Honestly, it was by far the most pleasant teardown I've experienced. On behalf of all technicians that have battered fingers and balding heads, thank you, Johnny Ive, thank you. *single tear*

 Taking the notebook down almost to the bare parts, I finally reached all of the cables and screws necessary to remove the display housing. Afterward, I began to remove the bezel, something that intimidates any person whom attempts it. I must say, it was less-than-dramatic. It only takes patience and sense. Even the rubber gasket was spared.

[Why, Apple, would you design something like this to be un-dissasemble-able…new word. It just seems irrational that one would have to pay $600 for a $100 part because your designers choose form over practicality in such cases. Props on making the iPhone 4 easy to access. But really, such ignorance mitigates the advantages of the unibody structure. Don't be so paranoid about visible screws, okey dokey?]

OK, swapped the displays, perfect. It couldn't have been easier, actually. [To be honest, it's less stressful than the original White MacBooks: not having to concern yourself with those tiny plastic fastening ********, damn those things! I am tired of super glue on my fingers >< ]

Tested…bingo! Working like new and boots just as well.

Let's get that bezel back on. Turning to the super-glue [dang], I attached the rubber gasket to the back of the bezel. After allowing it to cure, I applied more CA to the magnesium(?) frame inside the lid. Sliding the bottom of the bezel into place, first, I slowly squared the gasket with the sides of the lid and pressed it into place, being sure the pin near the iSight finds its way into the corresponding hole.

Et voila! A wholly unblemished MacBook Air!

 Oh joy! I was sad to see it leave.

 Well, there she is! A re-screened MacBook Air with intact bezel and gasket. I've also learned this could be done without removing the display assembly at all. I can't wait for next time!

Don't forget to comment below, follow at the top, and email me questions! No sign up required!

No comments:

Post a Comment